Monday, November 3, 2008

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!??!?!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN CANADA!!!

Halloween isn't actually celebrated here. Yeah, it's kind of weird since Australia is pretty much a copy of England. And very much the same as Canada/USA. But, no Halloween.
Apparently some suburbs are getting into it but it's tough to find decorations, costumes, halloween candy (they call candy/treats here - lollies), treat bags....etc.

After going to a few stores I did manage to put something together. I decided that we were still going to have the kids go "trick or treating". I asked the neighbors that if I provided the treat bags, could I bring the kids over for Halloween. This was fine with most of them (2 don't believe in Halloween so no go) so I picked up some treats and did up the bags, brought them to the neighbors and to Steve and Cari's. Then we got ready!!!


A few house decorations...nothing compared to home but it's a start. I'm counting on family mailing me some great decorations so I'll be smokin' next year!!!



...the kids were pretty excited about wearing the costumes...

Heading to our neighbors...

Down the street to Steve and Cari's...

Trick Or Treat Stevvvve!

So, overall, I think the kids enjoyed Halloween. I want to continue the Canadian traditions so that when we go back the kids will be familiar with everything. Yes, we are going back!! :)

And of course every holiday celebration means lots of baking!!! I baked halloween cupcakes for the kids daycare. And the kids wore their costumes on Friday. The daycare said that we inspired them so they did a Halloween day and the kids did pumkin and bat drawings/pictures. I also made shortbread cookies for my office and Darryl's office.
But, Darryl, being the artist in the family - he got very creative....


Oh, eyeballs!!! Yummy! And they were kind of spongey/sticky...he did a great job!! And they tasted pretty good too. Well done Babe! Makes my cupcakes look pretty boring but I don't think the 2 and 3 year olds would like the eyeballs as much as choclate!

And my office really got into Halloween. My manager figured that since I was Canadian that we really had to celebrate Halloween. So, she decorated the office with some great stuff and we had a costume contest. I was really impressed with the staff. They really enjoyed it so I think Halloween is going to take off here!! Well done!!

2 comments:

Nick and Mariana Vona said...

Those eyeballs look kind of creepy!!! :) hahaha
Very creative guys!!!
I am glad you keep up with the traditions. It is the best for the kids,so they will not forget about them.

Anonymous said...

HI Guys,Stacey you have lots of spunk so you continue to show those Aussies how its done.The kids look so cutein their costumes.Darryl your eyeballs are GREAT.Hope to talk to you real soon.Love Momma ROSIE