Saturday, April 18, 2009

Contemporary Dance

So, I went to see the Sydney Dance Company last night.  I was given free tickets from work and went with some of my coworkers.  I thought it would be a great show because I really enjoy many different styles of dance.  And the Sydney Dance Company is quite famous here.  Weeeeeelllllll, I did not enjoy the show.  

The dancers are amazing and have amazing bodies.  Muscles everywhere!  It's crazy.  And of course they are all very talented.  BUT, I had no idea what was going on and the music was dreadful.  For the first 10 minutes - the only sound was of a train whistle and the "ding ding ding" of a train crossing.  That is what they danced to.   What???????  I don't know.  I'm sure there was some hidden message in the show but I didn't figure it out.  And I wasn't alone.  Thankfully!  There were 5 of us that went and 4 of us felt the same way.  One of the girls used to dance so she thought it was wonderful.  I don't know.  I guess I'll never be able to pull off the artsy-fartsy thing because I couldn't wait for the show to be over.  

Is it me?  Has anyone else gone to watch live performances of contemporary dance?  Hmmmm, the dancers truly are amazing but I definitely will not be going back anytime soon!! 

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Clotilde said...

Yeah, sometimes I really don't get modern dance. I think they push the artsy part too much.

It can be modern and good though. A Streetcar Named Desire was a really good modern ballet. It was artsy and it was an original creation by the Qld Ballets but it was beautiful and easy to understand.

Don't give up on dance! ;)