Friday, November 5, 2010

It was a sad day today

It just was sad. My Grandfather passed away this morning and it is truly the end of an era. He was 91 years old. I understand that he wasn't 20 years old. He was old. But, for some reason, I thought he would live to be 120. The only nice part about it is that he wasn't sick for very long.

My Grandpa MacNeil was a World War 2 veteran and he told the best stories. Not usually about the war because they were horrible memories for him. But, sometimes, he would tell us about when he was young, or courting our grandmother (it only cost $0.25 to get into a dance back then but it was a lot because he had to pay for both of them). He would tell us about our home town and all the shops/general stores that used to be there. And about his training camp before war. And on the rare occasion he would tell us a war story. He was one of those people that when he spoke, you hung on each word. (My brother also has that gift.) I remember being in high school and the guys in my class would go visit my grandfather because he was so interesting to listen to. Even this summer when I was home, one of my old high school friends was "taking off" my grandfather and talking about how unique he was. It took Grampa forever to tell a story because he talked slow and would get side tracked with a different story!! But, that was all part of being Grampa. I think everyone in the family can "take off" how he talks! He was kind of like Sophia in the "Golden Girls" Remember how she would always say, "...Picture it. Sicily. 1943...."

That's similiar to Grampa. Except for Grampa it was, "Wellllll, you knowww (pause). Back thennn we had to do it this wayyy. (pause.) But, you knowwww, (pause) it worked better that wayyyy." Followed by a cough and then a little spit of tobacco. He was unique!!

Grampa was toughest on his own family as he was a heavy drinker and this caused them to go without many things. But, as he got older, I think he tried to be extra kind to the grandkids. He was never cross with us and always enjoyed playing crib with us. Even when we were painfully slow!! He called slow card players, "Pop bottles."

He lived with us one winter. I was about 12. Dad's family was trying to get him off the booze and I guess this was the best way to keep an eye on him. It was pretty funny because he shared a room with my brother and he used to keep Duane awake at night because he was playing crib in his sleep! He loved crib.

But, he never stopped drinking (they gave him 2 shots of rum each day at the hospital!!) and he never stopped smoking. He rolled his own cigarettes which meant there was no filter. He was a tough man. Worked in the woods until he was in his 70's. Just very healthy and strong. We figured that if he ever did stop drinking and smoking he wouldn't last a month! But, it did eventually catch up with him and his is gone today.

I am very lucky to have had him in my life for so long.

He's stories will be greatly missed. He's smile will be greatly missed. And I'll always remember his perfect army style brush cut that he forever had. (full head of hair to the end!) I always loved rubbing the top of his head. His hair was so soft.

Please think of him on Remembrance Day as we now have one less veteran.

You will be greatly missed. I will forever treasure your memories in my heart.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sorry for your loss.
Hair and vices. He was my kid of guy.

Paul

Kelly said...

So sorry to hear this, Stacey! Hugs from all of us!

Cari said...

So sorry to hear this Stace. My grandmother died last week at 97, and even though she lived a long life, it's still hard for those of us left without her, so I totally understand your loss. Thinking of you and your family. XO

Clotilde said...

Very sorry for your loss Stacey. I hope you get to go home and share the stories you remember with your family.

Lots of love,

Clo, Rej and Gabe

Dan said...

So sorry Stacy, he sounds like a wonderful man and such a character. Glad you all got to spend some time with him. Thinking of you all.
Dan & Amy

Anonymous said...

Wonderful memories Stace,which you will always hold on to.Maybe we,ll see you when you're in N.S.
All our love,Gunka and Grammy

Nick and Mariana Vona said...

I am soo sorry to hear about your loss Stace!!!!
You are lucky you had the chance to share so much time with him and learn from him... that is un valuable!
You are in our thoughts and we send you a big hug!
Nick, Mariana and the kitties.....

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dear grandfather Stace. May your cherished memories bring you comfort at this very sad time.

Thinking of you all,

Hugs,
Cheryl & Greg