Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Bit of An Update...

I wanted to give you an update on what has been going on these days in the MacPurdy Home. Sorry if this gets too long but lots of weird news to tell!! It's been quite hectic as I'm sure everyone has heard by now that we are moving to Brisbane, Australia. Yeah, we've been wanting to move for a while now and decided to go for it. But, it's happening quite fast so I hope we get everything done on time!!
Darryl will be flying out on January 30 but the kids and I may not get to go until February 10ish...give or take a day. I don't know where to even start with the story but I'll give it a try.
We went home for Christmas and after talking with family and friends, I got the whole laser eye surgery thing stuck in my head again. I've been wanting to get this done for years now and if we're moving to Australia, I should do it before we go. I already went for the consultation last year so had a good idea of the process/cost...etc.
When we got back from holidays I made an appointment for another consultation and booked the surgery. In the middle of all this, we've been packing, started selling some stuff, met with our real estate agent to get the house on the market, doctors appts/dentist appts, started selling the car process...and still working and trying to do stuff with the kids! And plan Shamus' 3rd Birthday Party!
My surgery was last Friday/Jan11. My right eye is great but they couldn't do my left eye. Yeah. I've never heard of this happen to anyone...but of course it happens to me! : )
They said that my left cornea was thinner than they thought so now I have to let it heal for about 3 weeks before they'll cut it again. Yeah. So, now I can't fly out with Darryl on January 30.
Of course I went home on Friday feeling pretty disgusted with the results. Now, our moving dates are all messed up and I'll have to fly alone with the kids and finishing packing the house/us and sell the car. Darryl gets home on Friday, we have people come to see the house (it went on the market last Tuesday) and my brother and his gang arrived Friday night for the party Saturday morning. (Shamus' birthday)
On Friday night, around 10:30pm, we see flashing lights on our curtains in the living room. Take a peek to see the excitement and there are a bunch of cop cars outside. No idea what is happening but by the end of it, there are about 12 cop cars and 3 ambulances. Not a good sign. And then the cops start putting "crime scene" tape across our front yard! We're suppose to have a Mini Open house on Saturday morning and an Open House on Sunday! Not good timing for trying to sell your home!
We later find out that there was a stabbing 2 houses down from us. Nice, eh? Crazy. We live on a nice street, pretty quiet, and I know the family pretty well. Cari - you know the Mom - Anna, from daycare.
By this point Darryl and I are getting down. My eye surgery went horribly wrong and now this. Of course we hope everyone is ok but how do we have our open house?
Saturday morning the cops are back. Darryl and/or Duane go out to talk to them. We find out about the stabbings and of course they find the weapon...at the end of our driveway! So, we can't leave the house! And Shamus' party is staring in 15minutes (at a play gym we go to). Evenutally they let us leave but by this point we're late for the party and of course I forget half the food in the house because we're rushing out the door!
Not a good last 24hours!!
Final results - I am going for a 2nd opinion on my eye this Friday. I'm having another doctor look at it to make sure the 1st doctor didn't screw up and damage my eye. I don't want to take any chances. If he says that I can do the surgery on Feb1, then I'll stick around. If not, then we're all going to try and fly out with Darryl. I don't really have time for all this but I'll find the time! Thanks to Amanda for finding out some info on my eye surgery...luckily this is her field of work. I hope my eye is ok!
And the stabbings - the kids are all ok. Apparently their Mom, Anna, was on vacation last week and the boys (twins, about 16) were staying with their dad. They told their dad that they were going to a house party on Friday night but didn't mention that it was at their Mom's house! So, I'm sure they are in huuuuuge trouble but at least everyone is ok.
We did have someone put an offer on the house so we're crossing our fingers that they don't watch the english news (they're spanish) and didn't hear about the stabbings! We'll know for sure next week.
And in the middle of all this...Darryl gave his notice at work on Monday. Yeah, so they tried to fire him that day. Nice company. Not only are their pay cheques bouncing all over town, they're so awful to work for. Anyone that tries to quit, gets "let go" early and no pay. Not that they're getting paid now anyway. All the cheques are bouncing! So, we don't know if Darryl will ever get some money out of them but it sure hurts the bank account! I don't think RBC is too happy with us right now. So, that's adding a bit of stress too.
Oveall, it's pretty busy and I hope everything works out!! I'll know about my eye on Friday...crossing my fingers.
And that's the latest. We'll keep you posted!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didnt know that darryl's company was that bad right now... that really sucks! Good post Stacey! You'll look back on it .. in a few years.. and laugh ;-)xxx Jolyne

Cari said...

oh man...it's even worse it writing! hehe;) but seriously, it's actually kind of funny too...well you probably don't think so, but you will laugh in a few months from now, as you relax on a beach in the hot australian sun!:)

Tammi Hayne said...

God you guys...I'm getting stressed just reading about all the havoc your lives have been in the last couple of weeks...it never rains but it pours eh?


http://www.hayne.ca

KrisZadziuk said...

Wow!!! Thats one hell of a 24 hours, Darryl I knew your company wasn't the best but sounds like the way they are treating you is terrible.

I agree with Jolyne and Cari, once you are out there with Steve, Cari, Jeff, Vic oh and not forgetting Jesse it'll be something that you'll look back on and Laugh.

Wait that also means that the kids are going to have Aussie accents...