Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

It only took about one and a half years but Stace and I finally made it to our first AFL (Aussi-rules Football League) game, or as the Aussies call it: Footy! Our friends Nigel and Felicity are members at the Brisbane Lions club (what we would call season holders). They were gracious enough to offer us tickets and join us at the game. I thought it was great! It's too bad it has taken us this long to go; it really is a fun sport to watch. Basically, the teams are trying to kick the ball through a set of four goal posts, positioned at either end of the field. The key is to if the ball travels through the inner two posts untouched by the opposing team then it is considered a goal. One goal is worth six points. If the ball is touched by the opposing team before it goes through the inner posts or if the ball goes between the inner and outer points it is considered a "behind" and one point is awarded. Another signature move in AFL is a "mark". A mark is when one player kicks a pass, a distance greater than 50 meters, to a teammate. If the pass is caught it is considered a mark and a free kick is awarded. Some marks can be quite exciting because players will use teammates to propel themselves high into the air make the catch.

Brisbane was playing Geelong. Geelong was undefeated until the previous week. Brisbane is doing decent as well (upper middle of the league).
The Cats taking the field. The one thing I loved when the teams take the field is that each club has there own song. They play it while they run onto the field and all the fans sing along to their team's anthem. It is really fun to listen to. It seems to build even more pride in ones club.
The Lions taking the field. Another thing that was fun is that each team runs through a tissue paper banner at the beginning of each match.
The match is on! Go Brisbane!

They try to keep the play going, which is really nice. If the play stops then they immediately have a throw in or a jump ball or a free kick to resume the play as quickly as possible. I think the reason I liked it some much is that it reminds me of ultimate frisbee, which I played a lot of in Halifax. The plays unfold in a similar way so I found it really easy to read the play. All and all very enjoyable!

Another great tradition the Lions have is that after every game the fans rush onto the field and start kicking balls to each other while a live band plays in the back ground. What I love about it is the accessibility for the fans.

I can't wait to go to our next game!



....adding to Darryl's post!!...
Shamus and I attended another Brisbane sporting event!

On Sunday afternoon Shamus and I went to the Brisbane soccer game. Free tickets compliments of Qantas. And great seats.

Hmmm, Shamus was the most excited about our transportation to and from the game! It seems to be a common thing here where there is no parking at the stadiums and no parking on the streets. You walk or take the bus. I thought it was weird at first but it's actually great! The city completely caters to the fans and there are buses after buses to take you to and from the game. And it's free! So, Shamus LOVED the bus experience.

Shamus and I waiting for the bus!

I won't bore you with pics of the game but I wanted to show a couple of pics of the players getting ready. Above - lots of bagpipes which I loved! Brisbane played Glasgow, Scotland. I thought this was strange but apparently they are in the same league?? Lots of flying involved! And the leagues really involve the kids which I also really liked.

And great entertainment at half time!!


And it's much cheaper to attend sporting events here than at home. You can actually afford to go to a game!

2 comments:

Dan said...

Darryl, we were at the Brisbane Roar vs. Celtic match as well! There was a great atmosphere wasn't there? Glad you enjoyed it :-) They are not really in the same league, it was a pre season friendly match.

Now you should have brought Shamus on to the pub after with us for the full soccer experience! Not that I was drinking :-/

We have a program if you'd like it, might make a nice souvenir.

Clotilde said...

I loved the Lions vs. Cats game. My only regret is I didn't have a camera and couldn't take a picture of the baked potato the guy in front of me was eating, it had more fixings than you could imagine on a baked potato: sour cream, ham, cheese, pineapple and more!