Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wisdom

I was looking through some previous posts on our blog today. The best way I can describe my experience was enlightening. As I looked through them I felt a strong desire to get something off my chest.

If you don't care for nonsensical dribble than stop reading now.

As most of you know we have just moved back to Montreal from Australia. What you may not know is that I was not a very happy person in the last few years before moving to Australia. Let's call that my "Montreal Darryl" phase. Looking back on that time now, I'd say it had a lot to do with my job and where I was in relationship to where I figured I should be in my career. The sad thing is that I brought the bulk of my frustrations and anger home and used Stacey as my shrink. I probably sacrificed moments with the kids because I was too preoccupied with work. I was being self centered. Stacey was always supportive but my behavior was selfish and completely unfair to her and the kids.

After leaving Montreal I improved. I think Stacey will agree that I got a piece of my old self back when we lived in Australia. By all accounts my career in Australia was as challenging as previous years but I didn't let it affect my personal life as much. When we decided to move back, I was really worried that I would become "Montreal Darryl" again.

Why am I tell you this? Because I saw "Montreal Darryl" today. The project I am currently on is, for lack of a better term, flawed (do I know how to pick 'em or what?). I talked with Stacey today and unloaded my concerns on her. Once again she was very supportive (Thanks Babe!) but she doesn't need my extra baggage (even though I know she can handle it... she is one tough cookie!).

I'm not writing this post to get sympathy. It's quite the contrary. I am writing this post as a personal reminder (as personal as an open post on a public blog can be) to shut up and stop dwelling on things that matter very little in life. Is my job important to me? Of course? Will I work hard? Absolutely. Does it need to affect my family life the way it has in the past? No.

I also need to remember that I am the only one who can control if "Montreal Darryl" comes back. At the end of the day I still have a fun job. A lot of people can't say that (which is too bad). I have a wonderful and supportive family (even more sad is that there are people who can't say that either).

Stacey once said to me "It must be nice to work at something you love" My reply to that is "Yeah it's the best. Except when things go bad it's hard to let go". The job I do is also a passion of mine so when it goes bad I take it personal. In Australia I worked hard not to let my job get to me. This post also serves as a reminder for me to keep working on that.

That's it. That's my "Jerry Maguire" moment. I hope I didn't bore you too much. That being said maybe the wonderful deep sleep your currently enjoying is a direct result of reading this post. If so... You're very welcome.

Sweet Dreams!


P.S. Thanks Stacey, Shamus and Breagha for giving me perspective.

P.P.S I think I'm reading Cari and Steve's blog too much. That mixed with Oprah has me all emotional.

7 comments:

Clotilde said...

Thanks for sharing this w us Darryl, it's nice to read your perspective, especially as a new parent.

I, m sure that "Australia Darryl " can live in Montreal...

Kelly said...

Well said, little brother! You know, we all lose perspective sometimes. Someone once said to me "How you treat your loved ones says a lot more about your character than how you treat strangers." It's easy to be nice to people you don't know because you have no emotional investment in them--what they do and say doesn't really matter to you. The fact that you are so considerate and you take the time to reflect on your treatment of Stacey and your kiddoes says a lot about you. For the record, I think you're AWESOME! (No sympathy intended)

Nick and Mariana Vona said...

Family is the most important thing in our lifes! And the power to make a balance between work and family is within ourselves. It is hard though some times as we can get very self involved in our jobs and where we want to get. But just remeber that having fun and those special moments are always better because that is what it feeds our soul to keep going on.
I am sure (as Clo says) that the "Asutralian Darryl" can live and make it in Montreal!
Just keep thinking of the next vacation we are going to plan to the South of Mexico (awwwwwwwwww =) hehehe).
Cheer up my friend!
Mariana, Nick & the kitties!

Anonymous said...

hey darryl
i just happen to take a peak at your blog today, i havent done that in a while! nice to hear your thoughts, i think sometimes we all take too much home from work and the people we love get the shit we cant give people at work. ( thats how it is for me sometimes anyways)
but supportive family is the best and wonderful people in your circle who write notes like yours that make you feel, hey i have a great life too!!

thanks for the the positive vibes

jo

MacPurdys said...

Hi Babe,

Ahhhh, I'm sure you will do fine back in Montreal. Things are better already!! We can't let work suck us in...keep that in mind!

We can't wait to see you. Miss you. xoxo S

Cari said...

Hey,

I remember "Montreal Darryl", we used to spend a lot of time on a train together (you owe me $10,000 bucks in therapy that I provided buddy)..... I remember
"just missed the bus that would take him home from the train Darryl" That Darryl was really scary/funny...(remember it would pull away just as everyone was getting off the train?)
I also remember "just married Darryl","first house Darryl", "new dad Darryl", "camping Darryl","happy, sad, drunk, stressed, good husband and good friend Darryl"
There's a lot of different Darryl's

Anyway, I don't think you will ever work on a project that isn't flawed in some way, that's just the nature of the beast. You'll never "let go" and you will always take it personally. "Montreal Darryl" will never go away, but luckily they're many other "Darryl's" that make up for the occasional "Montreal Darryl"
If you ever "let go" it will mean you don't like your job, and that will just suck.

Wow, am I ever tired of writing your name... gotta go pack for my San Fran/Vancouver trip, I leave in the morning.

Later

Steve...

I can't wait to see.....
"Shamus needs braces, Darryl", "mid life crises, Darryl", "my daughter is dating, Darryl" and "balding Darryl"

Cari said...

Hi Darryl,

It's Cari this time. I can totally relate to this post. I find it hard sometimes to not let my job consume me and I know it's just because I care about what I'm doing and want to do it well, but I'm learning that it is just a job and when it starts affecting your personal life, it's just not worth it. Of course, there will be times when you become "Montreal Darryl", that's just human, but it's all about keeping it in balance. Great post! Thanks for sharing!:)

Cari