Sunday, October 21, 2007

Horrible Self Promotion

Hello cyberspace,
I apologize upfront for this post. Nobody may care about this but ... too bad for you ;)

I have been working in the entertainment industry for about nine years now. When I started out I was a bit of a "jack-of-all-trades", doing some 3d modeling, texturing, compositing, layout, rigging and animating. In the past 5 years or so I have narrowed my focus to animating (with a sub focus on the character animation side). Now this might not mean anything to you (the one or two of you that read this blog) but the one thing that you will understand is that it has taken until the ninth year for me to finally work on a project that I am proud to recommend to my family and friends. Yes nine years!!! Now I have worked on some fun projects and for some great companies but as many folks in this industry know: rarely ever do the sum of the individual parts add up to be an amazing whole and complete package.


This year I have had the opportunity and pleasure to work on, not one, but two projects that I am excited about. The first is not as glamorous as some "big budget hollywood blockbusters" but it is for a company that I have the utmost respect for and have loved since I was a little child. The name of the project is SEA MONSTERS: A PREHISTORIC ADVENTURE and the client is National Geographic. My role on this project was Lead Animator. It was my first time doing serious creature animation. I had always focused on character animation of humanoids mostly. On this project I found that I realy enjoyed creature work. It is a 3D IMAX movie and is playing at quite a few theatres around the world. Here is the website: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/seamonsters/ Check it out if you are near a theatre.



The next project I am psyched about is a little more well known. Somewhat of a household name, so to speak ( if you live with a male age 12 to 35). The project is called HALO 3.
I was lucky to be a character animator on the cinematics team. I got to work with a lot of very talented animators on this project. BUNGIE (the company that created Halo) wanted to push the cinematics to another level with this iteration of the franchise and because their small, in-house animation team was swamped with mostly game content we were fortunate to get a chance to be a part of this amazing property. I must say it turned out pretty good. So if you have an XBOX 360 you should try this game (who am I kidding...if you have an XBOX 360 then, I would bet, you already have this game).


Anyways that is it .... I can't wait to see what project I work on in 2016. Until then keep coloring between the lines.




ciao
Darryl

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi darryl,congratulations to you.Watched the video don't know how you do it but its awesome.We are so proud to have you for a son inlaw that were not surprised at the great things you do every day .Keep up the good work,love rosie

Cari said...

Good job Darryl!
C.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see Sea Monsters, but I don't (can't) own a 360, so I'll have to get the boys in EB Games to show me. Keep having fun!
Miss you guys.

Ellis's

KrisZadziuk said...

HIGH FIVES ALL ROUND!!!!