Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Tartan Day in Brisbane

On Saturday we went to South Bank (across the river) and checked out Tartan Day. I was very excited!!! And I was so glad we went. The music and dancing was more similiar to Darryl's hometown (Antigonish) than to Cape Breton. There was more bagpiping and highland dancing. Cape Breton is more about the fiddle and square dancing/step dancing. It was great either way!! And the kids seemed to really like the music. Shamus was humming along and trying to sing. Pretty cute!

This group did Gaelic singing. I was surprised because I actually knew alot of the songs. The only thing that Darryl and I noticed was that the singing and music here is done slower than at home. If someone at home is playing the fiddle, it's usually a pretty fast, upbeat tune. Here the tune is played slower. But, a lot of the singing and fiddle/bagpiping was the same as what we hear at home so we were pretty happy. One of the singing groups even sang, "Donald where's your trousers?" We learnt that song in Gaelic class years ago!! I always thought it was a funny song so I remembered the words.


Yeap, the 3 legged Scots Man!! The kids were very confused by that extra leg!!


Snack time. B chillin' out with her new sunnies
(they call sunglasses "sunnies" here...everything ends in "ie" or "y" here...Brisbane is "Brissie", university is "uni", choclate is "chocy"...you get the picture :)

Just thought my hubby looked hot here. :) And yes, we had our 8 year anniversary yesterday! I still think he's hot so that's pretty good!


One of the piping bands. They were great. Lots of Scottish accents to be heard! I love the accent. So, overall, a great day. I'm really glad we went. I was scared that I would be homesick but it just made my very happy. I went home and pulled out the old Maritime CD's!! And I was really glad to see that there is a Scottish culture here. Even if it's only 1 day a year!

Yesterday was our anniversary. 8 years married....so that means that we've been together about 12 1/2 years. Wow, where did the time go? Darryl's coworker was kind enough to babysit for us and we went out to a movie. (babysitters are very expensive here. You'll pay about 15-25/hour) Thanks Jen!!

The kids started daycare on Monday (I start work on this coming Monday). The first day was rough. I stayed with them...went back and forth between the kids. But, Shamus was very upset. I thought that he would be the easy one since he did daycare for so long in Montreal. But, I guess he understands what is happening. He wasn't happy that I was leaving him there. And we only stayed for 2 hours!! I was pretty upset on Monday night. Second guessing whether I should be going back to work, was the daycare actually a good daycare, will the kids make friends....all that stuff. But, we did better on Tuesday (they did 1.5hours on their own) and this morning they are doing 3 hours on their own. Cross our fingers that it all works out!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi Guys!
It all reminds me of the Antigonish Highland Games--which we'll be attending this year (camping at Whiddens)! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! I wonder where you'll be in another eight years....
Take care,
Kelly :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Old Married Folks.Happy anniversary.It's really nice that you found some good old scottish culture.The Antigonish Highland Games are next week.We usually take in the Concert Under the stars,the Tatoo and the parade.
Terry and Bob celebrated their 50th
anniversary on Sunday,last.John,Tracy and the crew are leaving for N.S. on Friday,July 11.Congrats on your new job Stace.Hope all goes well.
Love and kisses,Grammy and Gunka

Ashley P Purdy said...

Wow, that's pretty cool, I didn't know there was so much scottish culture there...I am so excited, we are going to be home for the Highland Games...:D and Grammy, you are getting sooo old...we aren't comming down until the 18th.

anyways congrats on the anniversary! love you all ciao xoxo
Ashley