Saturday, August 13, 2011

Gramma Sadie

The kids and I left for Montreal last Saturday and did the 14hour drive to Antigonish...Darryl's home town. We stayed the night with his parents and then headed to Mabou...my hometown...on Sunday morning. I was in a hurry to get home as my Gramma Sadie (turning 96 in September!)was going down hill quickly and I wanted see her. My Mom and I spent about 7hours with her on Sunday and she passed away Sunday night. I am so thankful that I had the chance to see her one more time. She was the glue that held my Mom's family together and she will be greatly missed by her 10 children, her 45 grandchildren, her 92 great grandchildren, and her 12 great great grandchildren. My sister wrote a little something that was posted at the wake and it was perfect:


Gramma Sadie



  • Thank you for our homemade mittens that all 45 grandchildren received each Christmas. You wrapped each pair with love and homemade tags. The day after Christmas you began the new mittens for the next years gifts.


  • Thanks for allowing us to play with your collection of buttons (and take some home) while you sewed on your fancy sewing machine that didn't need electricity. It was amazing to watch your fancy footwork keep that needle stitching.


  • Thanks for making each grandchild feel special by granting each of us a place of honour in your graduation "Hall of Fame". (once you graduated, your picture was put up on the wall. I couldn't wait to get on that wall!!)


  • Thank you for sharing your many talents with us. Many of us have mastered the "Scrabble" board and improved our playing skills simply from listening to you say, "Are you going to challenge me?" We all know that you secretly memorized the dictionary when nobody was around.


  • Thank you for the quilts you made. They will be treasured for years and generations to come.


  • Thank you for always being happy to see each and everyone of us when we frequented your doorway. You always made each of us feel welcomed!


  • Thank you for always being kind and open-minded. There was never any judgement.


  • Thank you for always making room for each of us at Christmas when everyone came to visit at the same time!


  • Thank you to you and Grampa Hughie for making all those blue eyes sparkle! We're all proud to carry on the blue eyes...those who didn't get them are probably just a little jealous! (which I am cause I didn't get them and they are beautiful!) :)

Having a family funeral and a family wedding a week a part isn't ideal but I think Gramma would want us all to have some fun. She was truly an amazing lady that loved life and loved everyone around her. She was always so happy and we will miss her so much. But, now she is at peace.



Love you.


3 comments:

Clotilde said...

Hello Stacey,

I am so sorry you lost your grand-mother. She sounds like a wonderful woman (knitting mittens for ALL the grandkids? Amazing!) and I am really glad for you that you got one last visit.

Thinking of you,

Lots of love,
xxx

Amy Treble said...

Hi Stacey,

Very sorry to hear that your Gramma passed away. She certainly has left a legacy (96 great grandkids?!)and its sounds as though she cared about every one of them! Reading the thank you your sister wrote reminded me a lot of the things I remember my nanna for and I am very glad I have those memories. I think it serves as a reminder to Dan and I to make sure little baby Treble gets to see and spend time with their grandparents as much as possible, which isn't particularly easy whilst we're on the other side of the world, but something we'll have to try to manage. I would want our children to have those memories too. Love to you all at this sad time, we are thinking of you. Amy & Dan xxxx

Nick and Mariana Vona said...

Oh Stacey,
I am so sad to hear about your grandmother.
But how lucky you are to have had her for so long! You and your family! She sounds like a wonderful , caring woman, full of love and life. I bet you she is right there in the sky, now looking over you all and covering you with blessings....
Memories are kept in the bottom of our hearts and I bet you might have very good ones to remember now.
Nico, the three kitties and myself, we send you a big hug my friend!!! xoxo